Romeo and Juliet
Mass Market Paperback – May 1, 1998
Shakespeare's classic tragedy about love and sacrifice is complemented by an overview of Shakespeare's life, times, and theater; an introduction to the play; a note on its sources; analysis by critics past and present; a stage and screen history of its productions; and footnotes. Reprint.
The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare's timeless story of star-crossed lovers.
One of the Bard's most popular plays, Romeo and Juliet is both the quintessential account of young love and the cautionary tale of the tragedy that can occur when the foces of passion and pride are at odds,
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, J. A. Bryant, Jr.
• The source from which Shakespeare derived Romeo and Juliet, Arthur Brooke's The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet
• Dramatic criticism from Samuel Johnson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Michael Goldman, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...