Finishing Techniques for Wood Crafters: Essential Methods with Acrylics, Oils, and More (Fox Chapel Publishing) Learn How to Choose, Prepare, & Apply the Perfect Finish for Your Creative Wood Projects
Paperback – July 16, 2018
Learn how to choose, prepare, and apply the perfect finish for your next creative wood project with this practical guide to finishing techniques!
- Finishing can be a big challenge for many woodcrafters—this book will help!
- 14 sample projects demonstrate specific techniques, like applying a vintage finish or creating realistic skin tones
- Step-by-step instructions for each new technique are clearly explained and easy to follow
- Over 300 photos and drawings help illustrate every step
- Comprehensive details help you choose, use, and apply the perfect finish for your project
- Practical information on acrylic paint techniques and oil staining/antiquing methods, with applications in all wood crafts, including carving, woodburning, gourds, and scroll sawing
- Expert advice on tools and supplies, painting and staining, and the texture and character of wood
- Author Lora S. Irish is an internationally known artist and a frequent contributor to Woodcarving Illustrated and Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts magazines
Finishing Techniques for Wood Crafters shows you how to create flawless finishes each and every time. Nationally known artist and talented author Lora S. Irish presents a wide array of beautiful acrylic paint techniques and oil staining/antiquing methods.
Lora takes you through all the basics of painting and staining any woodcarving, pyrography, or gourd project, with expert advice on tools and supplies. She explains beautiful techniques for bringing out the texture and character of wood, with easy-to-follow instructions and workshop photographs that illustrate every step.
Sample projects throughout the book demonstrate specific techniques—like applying a vintage finish to a chip carved fish; creating realistic skin tones on a wood spirit cane topper; enhancing a Celtic knot dragon with an interesting stone effect; and more. Once you master these artistic techniques you can mix and match them to add pop to any project.
With Finishing Techniques for Wood Crafters, you'll learn to apply the perfect finish for any creative wood project!
About the Author
Lora S. Irish is an internationally known artist and author, whose acclaimed books include Great Book of Carving Patterns, Great Book of Celtic Patterns, Great Book of Dragon Patterns, Great Book of Tattoo Designs, The Official Vampire Artist's Handbook, Relief Carving Wood Spirits, World Wildlife Patterns for the Scroll Saw, and many more. Fox Chapel Publishing has sold more than 500,000 copies of Irish's books. Lora is also a frequent contributor to Woodcarving Illustrated and to Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts magazines.